In Sidney Fine's description, "GM's factories, `long, squat, and seemingly all windows', were dispersed throughout Flint: Buick, which took up nine million square feet of floor space, in the north, Chevrolet and Fisher Body No. 2 in the west, Fisher Body No. 1, the largest plant of its kind in the world, in the south, and AC Sparkplug in the east. GM's 47,247 employees as of December, 1936, constituted more than two-thirds of all the gainfully employed in the city and more than one-quarter of the city's entire population. It was estimated that 80 percent of Flint's families were dependent on GM's payroll."

The map is only an approximation of the location of the plants and their spatial relationship to each other in 1936-37.

Use the + (plus) and - (minus) arrows to zoom in and out of the map. Click and drag the pointer within the map to move from plant to plant. Click on a plant or icon to read about it and to hear audio clips pertaining to that location.