Joe Debit, do you know Joe Debit? They threw them out down Bristol Road, just off of Bristol Road it was a [inaudible] day and she had a little baby, and that little baby was just blistered. I, me and my husband and this man that had the three little boy, he helped us. His name was Zimmerman [inaudible]. I, we put their furniture back in the house, and then one night Headard had been somewhere on a Sunday night, and just pouring down rain. And back over there off of Bristol Road, they'd thrown another family out and he come home and he woke us up and told us that "Daddy they throwin..." uh... oh I can't think of his name, "out in the street." Well, we went over there and we didn't do a thing, but put all that furniture back in their house. And um... Headard helped us, the oldest boy. And I seen a lot of people thrown out, loose everything they had. I seen the house next door to us on [inaudible] they come out there and the they took everything in their house, they ripped the rugs up off the floor. And they... I had a little two burner oil stove I'd borrowed from them, I was using it myself, we was a building our house, but my husband finished the upstairs first, and we was living up there til he finished the downstaris. Well, I had her ironing board and that two burner stove. That's everything in the world they had left. They took everything, they took and the high-chair they had a baby sitting in the high-chair and they said to me, "Take that baby out of the chair so we can get the chair," he said, "We can't touch it." Who was that, who was they? The Marshalls, the poli...the Sheriff?

Police... whoever was throwing the furniture out, uh, taken it hauling it away. And I said, "it's not my baby either, I'm not touching that baby." He said, "well we can't touch it." I said, "well alright, leave the chair." Well, they... that chair, and that two burner oil stove and the ironing board was everything them people had left. Well what did they do after that? They... where did they go?

They got in the car, they had a Ford car, and they went to Alabama and was gone for months. Then one day... he worked at Fisher, but he was out of work then, they come out to the house one day, to know where he was. They wanted him to come back to work, and I wouldn't tell them he was in Alabama, I said, "well I'll get a hold of him." So I called him that night. He come back and went to work but they had to get a place way over, closer to that cotton place, on what's that? Standard Cotton Products?

Yeah, they had a little garage house.

Show Transcript Speaker: Delia Parish. Interviewed by U-M Flint Labor History Project. Date of interview: 6-6-1979. Edited by Michael Van Dyke.

Copyright: ©2002 Michigan State University.