Well in the first place, a friend of ours, I don't remember his name now, he was a mail man, and he used to pick up... deliver mail down at the Pengelly Building, and that was the union headquarters at that the time - I don't even whether the Pengelly Building is there or not - and he overheard some of these strikers in there and he said, "this is the night we're out to get that judge."

And so he immediately got in touch with us, and so Dad called the police department and from that time on we had twenty-four hour police protection at the house. They came in eight hour shifts.

[interviewer] Is that so?

Mmm hmm, stayed all night, and Paul, let's see, was born in twenty-nine, so he was eight years old, the strikes were in thirty-seven, he was eight years old, or would be in July, he was seven then. And he was in school over at Zimmerman, and this one morning, Dad was upstairs shaving and I was downstairs in the [inaudible] and the phone rang, and I answered it, and someone asked for Judge Gadola, and I said "just a minute." So I called Dad and said "it's for you." So he answered the phone and he called down to me he says, "has pual left for school yet?" And I said no, and he said, "don't send him, call the police." And I thought, "well what's going on here?"

So I did, and uh... so this was a neighbor of ours calling, and he said - it was on a Monday morning - and said all night Sunday night there had been... we had company at the house Sunday night. There had been a big car uh... North of your house, a couple of houses, and also South of your house, in each car there were four big men. And, so we called the police, but the joke was on us, they were members... Dad was active in the American Legion, and they were friends of ours in the American Legion protecting us, and we called the police on them.

Show Transcript Speaker: Wife of Judge Gadola. Interviewed by U-M Flint Labor History Project. Date of interview: 1-23-1980. Edited by Michael Van Dyke.

Copyright: ©2002 Michigan State University.